Like a punch to productivity, procrastination can be the bane of existence.
Indubitably, I have a degree in it!!! 🤣🤣 Mannn, let me tell ya…I can slip down the rabbit hole in a bli9nk and there I am … in procrastination land. But really, joking aside…how can one stop procrastinating?
Spot IT when it’s Afoot!
Let’s check it out…Know What It Is
For all intents and purposes, our working definition is …. “the intentional act of postponement.”
I think you will agree, the video gives a pretty accurate depiction of what is procrastination. On the self-level, this action can seriously stunt personal growth relating to one’s feelings of accomplishment and satisfaction. Of equal importance, in our professional careers, this type of postponement is a disruptive force to advancement.
You want to be productive…work on self, a project, create, etc., but you just can’t seem to focus to get to doing. Mucho Distracted!! Nevertheless, I believe dealing with procrastination has everything to do with how we decide to take action.
When we choose to make move on a desire and goal, this may mean a few things for us, such as:
1) a need to understand what “it” is (desire/goal)
2) patience to reason it out and choose the subsequent action (the “1” thing to get moving)
3) recognizing when procrastination is rearing its furry head and in action (physical manifestation-you’re doing other sh*t!!)
4) then create a flexible, realistic plan to stop the mutha through a strategy or strategies
I’ll be the first to admit yes, I drag my feet sometimes to take action for a vast variety of reasons, you may be able to relate to this. Even though, I see the best thing we can do for ourselves is to recognize when procrastination is overt and sneaky.
Overtly, this could be seen as the constant missing of important deadlines in every area of your life, personal and professional. As a sneaky intruder, this could appear as the constant checking of emails or fussing around on social media under the illusion of work.
Certainly, when we engage in other peripheral activities or distractions that are not productive, we postpone constructive action (not meaning … cooking, cleaning, self-care, and household sh*t but see when these actions are clothed as procrastination too!). Gnaw on that a minute!
Employ some patience to reason and adjust action
Can we consider this too, if we take the time to recognize when we are in procrastination mode, we then practice awareness of what we are doing. This awareness, in turn, allows us to examine the “why” of procrastination and make a plan to stop. Self-awareness acts as an aid in recognizing how it creates undue anxiety.
Let’s continue on the topic of awareness, shall we?
As an essential element in the mix, awareness cues us into knowing the “what” and “why” for the continuous postponement and goof-off. You see, an ugly cycle of anxiety is birthed when we procrastinate, remain unaware, and it’s left unchecked.
Recognition increases self-confidence and thus will help pinpoint the contributors and their associations. In that moment of recognition, it’s a good a time as any to observe “why” you may not be focused.
So, create some strategies to stop the procrastination and Eat the Elephant One Bite at A Time! Why not start today and give a name to the reason(s) for the extra random goofing-off, it’s enlightening and valuable information.
A few activities to help bring the “procrastination station” to a halt or at least to a dull Roar. Rawrrr!
If it has to do with any of the following areas…here’s are a couple of action thoughts…..
- Job or Work: If it’s the job/work is giving you the poo-poo’s, remember a job change or new employment is always an option. But first, though, look at all sides such as the pros and cons of the employment. What’s more, if it pertains to just the work itself, how about committing to either enhancing your capabilities and skills or finding a way to make the job a little less tedious.
- Performing a most unpleasant task: Nobody likes doing sh*t they don’t like, but the truth is … do the undesirable task(s) first. The task will be done sooner than you think. Attempt to get those task(s) out of the way (Bye Felicia!!) and leave the more enjoyable ones to the end.
- Personal organization: not particularly your forte, there are a few tools to help with this: to-do lists for prioritizing and accountability, personal planners, mobile applications, and more. I am sure there is a “tool” that screams your name!
- a BIG project: Like I mentioned above… “eat this Mutha like an Elephant. One tip to ease overwhelm is breaking the project down into smaller chunks of work (you knew that!), and another tip, keep the project in perspective.
I wouldn’t be doing my thing if I didn’t offer up a Tool …… “3” minutes to kicking procrastination in the Booty! Check out the……The Quick-Step.
Know you Know you can…
If you set a personal intention to recognize, prioritize, and develop strategies to stop, know this…you will put the brakes on procrastination. Not saying it’s forever gone, but you can STOP it right at the onset before momentum is lost.
I’m cheering you to the TOP! From my heart, soul, & mind to yours……I encourage you to stay curious and manage like a Boss!
p.s Imma be a lil cliche’….. Just Do It! 👍😜
opening photo credit: Doug Tunison/Unsplash
Song vibe: We can work it out/Chaka Khan